PHS Art Department
We offer many courses for students to explore their artistic side, including Art Fundamentals, Ceramics, Digital Design, Drawing, Painting, Sculpture, and Advanced Studio Art. Emphasis is placed on skill refinement and increasing control of each media. Students are expected to grow in their ability to select art materials or technological tools which are best suited for creatively communicating their ideas.
- Artists communicate ideas through artworks by selecting and applying media techniques and processes, subject matter, and themes.
- Artists communicate ideas through artworks by selecting and applying art elements and principles.
- Visual art is connected to performing arts, communication arts, math, science, and social studies.
- Viewers respond aesthetically to artworks based upon their personal experience and cultural values. Viewers analyze, interpret, and evaluate the quality of artwork through art criticism.
- Visually literate citizens understand the role and functions of art in history and culture. Artists influence and are influenced by the cultures and time periods in which they live.