Pattonville Fire Protection District conducted fire extinguisher training for family and consumer sciences students at Pattonville High School. Hands-on training such as this one can prove priceless during an actual emergency.
“We’re teaching kitchen safety in class and we were just thinking about how do we take this further, how do we expand this and make it more hands-on and practical for these kids,” FACS teacher Madison Avery said. “In just one phone call, we were able to get everything set up with the fire department and they were here to help.”
After students demonstrated their ability to put out a fire, they received a Pattonville Junior Firefighter sticker.
“I never knew how to use a fire extinguisher before and now I do,” sophomore Phi Nguyen said. “I thought it would be a lot heavier but it wasn’t that bad.”
Students also received instructions in the classroom on what to do if they ever experience a house fire.
“The most interesting thing I learned was if you can’t get outside, throw something like a pillow out of your window if you are on the second floor or higher,” junior Dylan Leedle said. “That way, it will get the firefighter’s attention and they will know there’s someone still inside.”