Three Pattonville School District teachers earned their certification as a National Board Certified Teacher (NBCT).
Drummond Elementary second grade teacher Ashley Burd and first grade teacher Amber Wilson each earned certification in Generalist/Early Childhood and Remington Traditional English learner specialist Michele Hill achieved certification in English as a New Language/Early and Middle Childhood Path 2.
NBCT is considered the gold standard in teacher certification and is designed to develop, retain and recognize accomplished teachers and to generate ongoing improvement in schools nationwide. Certification is awarded by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS), and NBCTs can keep their certification active by completing a Maintenance of Certification (MOC) every five years.
The National Board Standards upon which the certification is based were created by teachers for teachers and represent a consensus among educators about what accomplished teachers should know and be able to do. Board certification is available in 25 certificate areas spanning 16 disciplines from preschool through 12th grade.
The certification process requires teachers to demonstrate standards-based evidence of the positive effect they have on student learning in alignment with NBPTS' Five Core Propositions. They must exhibit a deep understanding of their students, content knowledge, use of data and assessments and teaching practice. They must also show that they participate in learning communities and provide evidence of ongoing reflection and continuous learning.
There are currently seven Pattonville teachers that have valid certifications. They are:
- Mollie Ahlers, Bridgeway art teacher - Art/Early And Middle Childhood
- Ashley Burd, Drummond second grade teacher - Generalist/Early Childhood
- Michele Hill, Remington Traditional English learner specialist - English As A New Language/Early And Middle Childhood
- Jill Ramig, Remington Traditional library technology specialist - Literacy: Reading-Language Arts/Early And Middle Childhood
- Jennifer Robin, Pattonville Heights Middle School reading specialist - Literacy: Reading-Language Arts/Early And Middle Childhood
- Tracey Robinson, Rose Acres PEGS teacher - Generalist/Middle Childhood
- Amber Wilson, Drummond first grade teacher - Generalist/Early Childhood